You may still be able to keep driving AND avoid jail in San Joaquin County!
- More than 180,000 people matched with local attorneys since 2004.
- Contact with multiple local DUI attorneys.
- Find the right lawyer for your DUI case.
What to Do If You Have Been Pulled Over on Suspicion of a San Joaquin DUI
You are probably aware that CA DUI penalties can be extremely harsh. Besides having your license suspended and paying heavy fees and fines, you could go to jail if you are found guilty. If you do find yourself in the unfortunate position of being stopped for suspicion of a Stockton DUI, it is important for you to attempt to make the experience go as well as possible. Afterwards, do not forget to contact a dedicated Stockton DUI attorney to help you with your case.
Below are a few tips that may help you when you have been stopped for a Stockton DUI include:
- Pull over as safely and quickly as possible using correct signals- Try not to annoy a police officer when they are in the process of stopping you. If you continue to make mistakes once they have signaled for you to stop, they will be even more agitated.
- Once you have pulled over in a safe area, roll down your window completely, place both hands on the steering wheel where the officer will be able to easily see them and turn on your interior light if it is dark outside- It is dangerous for law enforcement to approach a vehicle. By following these easy steps, you can eliminate their fears and show your respect for their safety.
- Avoid providing law enforcement with a reason to search your car- Do not try to hide anything or remove anything from your vehicle. Your hands should remain on the wheel until otherwise instructed by the police officer. They will be watching for any movement inside the car that would give them a reason to perform a search.
- Stay in your vehicle unless the officer request that you get out- If you happen to step out of the car without being asked, you will likely end up with a gun pointed at you. If you are asked to step out of your vehicle, do so without objection.
- Try to speak as little as possible- If you do need to speak, be polite. It is important not to be confrontational or defensive so the officer will make note of it in their report. Stay calm and do not admit to anything. Lawyers in Stockton can use this to your benefit.
These tips may help you lessen or even avoid those CA DUI penalties. Remember, if you have been arrested for a DUI in Stockton, you need to contact a knowledgeable Stockton DUI attorney to help you with your defense. Fill out this simple form and be put in touch with up to three skilled San Joaquin DUI attorneys!
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
DUI lawyer listings are a paid DUI attorney advertisement and do not in any way constitute a referral or endorsement by an approved or authorized lawyer referral service other than 1.800.DUI.LAWS.