Select your state to locate a DUI lawyer near you.
What is 1 800 DUI Laws?
If you got arrested for a DUI then this is a website for you – an honest, hardworking person who was just arrested for drunk driving. You made an error in judgment and now you’re scared and embarrassed. We know. 1 800 DUI Laws completely understands what you’re going through, and we are ready to help.
On this site, you’ll find all the answers you need. Plus, you will find local, skilled and experienced DUI lawyers in your area. That’s right - there IS an attorney who is ready to speak to you and help you through this difficult time. 1800DUILAWS.com has the information you need to understand what will happen after a drunk driving arrest and to find a defense attorney who can help you navigate the criminal court and the DMV.
Cases involving driving under the influence are known by many different names. Your state may call drunk driving charges DUI (driving under the influence), DWI (driving while impaired or intoxicated), OUI (operating under the influence), DUII (driving under the influence of intoxicants), OUIL (operating under the influence of liquor), DWAI (driving while abilities are impaired), OMVI (operating a motor vehicle while impaired), or even “wet reckless” (alcohol related reckless driving). If you’ve been arrested for any of these crimes, the potential consequences are serious, but help from a knowledgeable drunk driving criminal defense lawyer is just a mouse-click away.
The penalties for a drunk driving conviction are getting more and more harsh. DUI convictions in many states may include the following punishments:
- jail time
- loss of driving privileges
- increased auto insurance rates
- the possible installation of an ignition interlock device
- alcohol and drug educational classes (DUI school)
- “scarlet letter” license plates that identify you as a DUI offender
- a lifetime conviction on your criminal record
- points on your DMV driving record
- denial of admission into foreign countries
- denial of naturalization or deportation from the U.S.
- employment consequences
- professional license consequences
- the inability to rent a car
- consequences in unrelated legal proceedings (such as divorce or child custody hearings)
These are just some of the consequences with a criminal conviction, in addition to the shame and humiliation associated with being arrested for drunk driving. In light of this, a consultation with a lawyer who concentrates on DUI / DWI defense is an essential first step.
No matter how strict or lenient your state's DUI / DWI laws are, the consequences are severe and life-changing. If you've been accused of breaking the law and charged with an alcohol-related offense, one of our attorneys can help. Remember, a network of qualified DUI / DWI defense lawyers is just a click away.